Mt. Marami, you will never be forgotten

"Silyang Bato" (July 2016)

A week ago, I came across a Facebook post from my professor way back in college that he is looking for anyone/group to join for a climb.  And so I sent him a private message that I and Mund can join him over the weekend.  I did inform our other climbing buddies as well.  I haven't told them the details about the mountain we're up to except for those they can search on Google about Mt. Marami, the estimated budget, and that we'll push through, rain or shine.

How to get here?

From Cubao, take a San Agustin Bus going to Nasugbu and tell the driver that you will alight in Amuyong.  From Amuyong intersection, we hired a tricycle (P300 for 3 pax) going to Brgy Ramirez, the jump off of Mt. Marami.  There are almost 30 people ahead of us in the Barangay Hall before 6:00 a.m.  I thought they're also heading to the summit, but a Barangay Tanod informed us that they're only up to a tree planting activity (hope we can do that in the future as well).  We commence with the hike after registration and prayed for a good weather all throughout our climb.  According to the locals, it did rain for the past few days, usually after lunch, that's why majority of the trail is muddy and slippery.


We have had a lot of many stop overs despite the many rolling hills and assault towards the half of the trail because of scorching heat of the sun.  We were able to reach the summit around 11:00am and stayed there for almost an hour to breathe, feel the gush of cool wind beneath our skin, and have our photo ops of course.  We're lucky enough that today, we have had the chance to see Mt. Marami's peculiar beauty, one of the many reasons why I've always wanted to have a retake here.


Mt. Marami Crew (Me, Tina, Jowie, Charles, Joan and Sir Ryan)



While other hikers are approaching the summit as we viewed on top, we decided to descend at once, but the wind started to flew a bit cold and here comes the rain, heavy rains accompanied by scary thunders.  We let it pour for about 15 minutes or so at the store near the camp site and then push through the descend for us to make it at the jump off before the sun goes down.  Our legs and knees started complaining, but our hungry tummies served as our motivation to keep on moving.  A kind local offered Jowie a horseback ride going back to the jump off when he saw her having a hard time with her leg at the river.  At first, she refused to, but then later realized that she badly needed it.



We then fixed ourselves after having been rested for a few minutes at the store near the Brgy. Hall, which offered us their bathrooms for P20.00/head.  They also helped us find a back to back tricycle to take us to Maragondon, Cavite where we are going to take a bus ride back to Manila.  We failed to have "bulalo" for dinner since the eatery where we ate before was already closed when we arrived there at 6:30 pm.  Indeed, those unplanned adventures are among the best ones.  I can attest to that I guess.

Almost 11 months ago, I went here with Mhigz, Chris, and Machi for an overnight stay.  The original plan was to have a retake of Mt. Cinco Picos in Zambales, but the bad weather affecting the area left us with the cancellation of the event.  And so, they sent me an SMS to go for a day hike near Manila  instead without any details given.  The reason why Mt. Marami almost made me give up for hiking.  I didn't have my trekking shoes with me and what I brought was my trekking sandals, which didn't help me anyway.  I decided to walk barefoot so that we can push through at the camp site while Mr. Sun is still there.  Our way to the summit the next day was not that easy "dahil literal na durog ang trail" because of the rain and a trail run event held that day as well. (Kumusta naman yun, di ba?)  It was almost zero visibility at the summit with only few moments of clearing and we have to descend before the trail runners goes up here at once.  My eight hours of struggle begun the moment we descend to the camp site.  We were able to settle down before the rain pours again and because we don't have any rain gears, those black garbage bags served as our poncho all the way. 

I almost gave up on you, Mt. Marami.  The unlimited mudslides reminded me of being a kid again, but as I take every step of it, the realization of expecting the worst on a climb should always be on top of my mind before anything else.  Many thanks to you because I wouldn't  be seeing myself now if it isn't the courage that you've taught me.

Chris, Machi, me and Mhigz.



Essentials:

Raincoat/Poncho
Raincover for your Backpack
Garbage Bag
Sun protection (cap, sleeves, sunblock)
Trek pole
Trail foods
Water
Camera/Power bank

Expenses:

San Agustin Cubao Bus Terminal-Amuyong - P128.00
Amuyong to Brgy.  Ramirez - P300/tricycle for 3pax
Guide Fee - P500.00
Brgy.  Ramirez-Maragondon- P100/head (tricycle)
Maragondon-Baclaran - P83.00